1. Heat a pan over low heat, add the oil and garlic, and cook, stirring until golden brown. Add all the vegetables, except the mushrooms, increase the heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-12 minutes, or until softened and there is no liquid from the vegetables left in the pan. Add the mushrooms.
2. Increase the heat to high, add the wine, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the thyme and juice from the tomatoes and cook until reduced by half.
3. Add the lentils and pepper, stir in the tomatoes, and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the package.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, sugar, and basil.
6. Serve the sauce with the cooked spaghetti, garnished with basil sprigs.
25 mins to prepare, 20 mins to cook